Early Days of HinduMediawiki
Dharma destroys the one who destroys Dharma. Dharma protects the one who protects it. Hence from the fear of the Dharma which is going to perish shall not destroy us. Dharma, therefore, should not be abandoned. - Manu Smriti 8.15
The way of development was always agile and exact goal were never decided but few guidelines were decided about which kind of community we wanted.
a Fast and Simple Question Answer Community to discuss interesting topics and solve doubts
a Digital Content Link aggregator of all the content related to Hinduism
a tagging system to categorize and filter posts according to semantic web standards,
a Chat Room for detailed or off-topic discussion,
a Automatic Post Ranking system to improve Signal to Noise Ratio,
a strong commitment to transparency, and many other features that is going to be added on in next months
Here are few things learnt from this experience.
- Always keep a To-Do list ready and in sight if you want to keep your project live forever
- Its tough to get the users on such forum without tapping in niche mass.
- For that we need influencers (of any kind)
- Agile is Awesome, specially when team is expanding every day.
- Design should be very simple to deal with all kind of content
- User migration can be hectic
- We designed chat room but none used it, people are not going to use anything less than Social media for chatting, even team members too
- Expecting everyone to use the provided tool at same time is foolish expectation
- Hindu do need such kind of tool asap, as soon as we launched we received lots of suggestions and praise saying that was something that is needed.
- Converting twitter followers to site user is harder than imagined.
- Gathering twitter followers takes time, slow and steady wins the race, Only content matters here.
- Its better to use Jira or similar tool as early as possible.
- Every project requires a good brand building exercise and loyal followers the biggest brand
- Modesty is the key to know what user wants.
Will add more point as soon as possible.
#web #hindumediawiki- 2 toasts